Design should be creative! Before moving on to the design itself (don't worry, that's next) take some time to think about creative solutions for the project. You can use the client's examples of favorite work as guidelines for what they like and don't like, but your goal should be to come up with something new and different that will separate them from the rest (unless of course they specifically asked to fit in). Ways to get the creative juices flowing include:
- Brainstorming: Get together with a group and throw out any and all ideas
- Visit a museum: Get inspired by the originals
- Read a book: Something as small as a color or shape in a graphic design book could spark a completely original idea
- Take a walk: Sometimes its best to get outside and watch the world...you never know what will spark your imagination
- Draw: Even if you're not an "artist," doodle some ideas on a page
Once you have some ideas for the project it's time to start creating a structured layout.