Before you can start a project you of course need to know what your client needs. Gathering information is the first step of the graphic design process. When approached for a new job, set up a meeting to discuss the scope of the work. Be sure to gather as much information as possible:
Aside from the product your client needs (such as a logo or a website), ask questions such as:
- Who is the audience?
- What is the message?
- How many pages is the piece?
- What are the dimensions?
- Is there a specific budget?
- Is there a deadline for completion?
- Can the client provide examples of design they like?
- Is there an existing corporate brand that needs to be matched?
Take detailed notes, which you can use later for the next step of the design process.